top of page

How do you report a broker for not paying?

Updated: Oct 1, 2022

If you've been stiffed by a broker, there are a few ways you can get your money. First, try contacting the broker directly and asking for payment. If that doesn't work, you can file a complaint with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). You'll need to provide documentation of the unpaid load, as well as the broker's contact information.

If the broker is found to be at fault, the FMCSA can order the broker to pay the trucker. In some cases, the FMCSA may also impose a fine on the broker. If the broker still refuses to pay, the trucker can file a lawsuit. However, it is important to note that the FMCSA does not have authority to resolve disputes between carriers and shippers. Therefore, if the trucker is unable to resolve the matter directly with the broker, he or she may need to seek legal assistance.

The FMCSA will then investigate the complaint and take appropriate action. In some cases, the broker may be suspended or even banned from operating if they are found to have repeatedly violated regulations. You can file a complaint with the FMCSA by visiting their website or by calling their hotline at 1-888-DOT-SAFT (1-888-368-7238).

Another way to report a broker is to contact your state's Department of Transportation (DOT). Each state has its own DOT, and they are responsible for enforcing the laws within their state. You can find your state's DOT website by doing a search online or by looking in the government section of your phone book. Once you've found the website, you should be able to find a link or phone number where you can file a complaint.

You can also report the broker to the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The BBB is a nonprofit organization that helps to resolve disputes between businesses and consumers. You can file a complaint with the BBB online or by calling their hotline at 1-800-978-2800.

You may have to resort to legal action to get paid. Small claims court is one option, but it can be time-consuming and expensive. Truckers can also try contacting the broker's surety bond company. The surety bond is in place to protect truckers from non-payment. If the broker does not have a bond, the trucker may be able to file a lien on the load or seek payment through a Factoring company.

Ultimately, if a broker refuses to pay, there are options available to truckers to get the money they are owed.

Want to learn about hiring a new driver? check out our other blog How to Hire an Independent Box Truck or Cargo Van Delivery Driver for Your Business.


bottom of page